Tuesday 24 July 2012

Who Let the Dog Out?

Paris getting out is a fairly common experience around here. I would say it happens an average of 4 times a week....could be more with the times she gets out then comes back without anyone knowing. More times than not no one owns up to leaving a door open. I'm beginning to think we have a wonder dog that can work door knobs but if I had to put money on it, I'd probably bet on forgetful children.

So today, she gets out again. I've learned now to put on running shoes and grab a leash before running out to find her. One memorable moment was tackling her on the side of the road and pulling her home by the scruff of her neck because I had neither shoes to chase her with or leash and collar to bring her home. I went to the usual hotspots (neighbours with dogs) but couldn't find her. At one point I thought I glimpsed her leaping hedges into a neighbour's yard but by the time I got there she was gone without a trace. I figured I needed more incentive so I ran home to quickly get some treats (I think I need to pack a get-the-dog-grab-bag and leave it by the front door). Finally, our 5-year-old neighbour girl says in her sweet voice, "I think your dog went that way" pointing down her street and about 7 houses down I see Paris "playing" with a cat. Glad I grabbed the treat because I don't think she thinks I'm as much fun as a cat. I finally got her leashed and on the way home stopped to talk to our neighbour.

Then Evelyn comes running down the street saying I have a phone call. Can I just say how great our phones are, clear as a bell reception three houses down!

The conversation goes something like this:
Me: Hello?
Caller: Hello, someone from your residence called 911?
Me: (now looking at Evelyn) Ummmmm, okay.
911 Operator: I just need to verify that everything is okay?
Me: (giving Evelyn my best death look) Everything is fine. Our dog got out but I've got her back now.
911 Operator: We'll need to send an officer to check out the situation. Can you verify your address.
Me: (Evelyn is looking at me with her most innocent expression and her trying-not-to-smile smile)  4 Bythia St.

Hang up phone. Our neighbour, who happens to be a paramedic, just starts laughing when she hears who was on the phone. About 3 minutes later (glad to know their response time is so quick, even for a non-emergency) an officer drives up and I make Evelyn speak with him. He was really nice about it and told her that even grown-ups sometimes call for their pets but that it's not really an appropriate emergency.

I think she had a flash of poor Zoe and panicked. We've had Family Home Evenings about what to do in an emergency (I'm hoping since it apparently stuck that they really are listening to what I'm teaching) but I think it's time for a refresher on what classifies as an emergency.

Later, I asked her what she said to the operator when she first called before bringing the phone to me. She told them she was 6 years old, alone in the house with her baby sister, that her dog ran away and that she didn't know where her Mom was. All the truth but I can see how it could be taken the wrong way.

To top it all off after speaking to my neighbour for 10 minutes I realized that Lucienne was home alone (the girls had all come out for the police rendezvous). Thank goodness they didn't investigate the situation further.

No comments:

Post a Comment