Friday 17 February 2012

Book Club

I finally did it...I started a Book Club - "Book Mamas". It was back in November but I'm still excited about it!

I've always loved the idea of book clubs but never knew how to find one. I have quite a few friends who are avid readers and often our girls night outs are spent talking about books we've read. It's very hard to talk about books without giving away crucial parts and rarely had any of us read the same book so we could never really get into it.

Tonight's meeting was "The Midwive's Confession" by Diane Chamberlain. There were 8 of us and what was cool was that I only knew 3 of them, friends of friends made up the rest. It makes for a much livelier discussion when we're not all from church, raised on the same values. Of course everyone has their own opinions but it's so easy to assume that they would all be similar to mine...which they weren't. I loved it!! It was such a great group of women that no one was there judging, just expressing and sharing. It was also great to talk about something other than kids and kids.

And what's even better is that I had each person pick a month. They were then responsible for picking the date of the book club that month, picking the book and putting together questions. As much as I wanted to start the book club I didn't want to have to be in charge for every meeting. I also didn't want to pick all the books. The cool thing about being in a book club is being exposed to books you wouldn't have otherwise picked up.

We're tentatively planned until August! Yay for book clubs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment